Home

Friday, August 28, 2009

Thirteen days and counting 8/28/09

Sorry I have not had a chance to write much this week. I can't believe it's already Friday night, this week has flown by.

Chris will be home in thirteen days! Chris comes home on September 10th. He will do a test run on the sixth. It's all me on the sixth though......no therapists, no nurses and no Dr.'s. That's okay, I am up for the challenge. I pick him up bring him home for a few hours and then take him back. The nurse says several times the families call and ask if the patient really needs to return to the hospital and I can see that happening in our case too. The girls are already planning the festivities.

This week Chris had some peer counseling.  A guy from Huntington Beach came for a visit. He had a car accident, was taken to Western Med (just like Chris) and then on to St. Jude's (just like Chris). He left St. Jude's a quadriplegic but he WALKED into Chris room. Chris was so encouraged. He really want to continue his outpatient therapy with St. Jude's. This will take some coordinating (it's a 45 minute drive from Huntington Beach) especially with one child that gets out of school at noon and one that gets out at 2:30 but so worth it if it means Chris will walk sooner rather than later.

Today Chris had an outing. The hospital took about 5 patients that are in wheel chairs to the local Target Greatland (huge store). I met them there and shared a lemonade with Chris. We walked around the store. Okay, I know it's only Target (not knocking it but not my first choice for a date) but it felt so good to be out and about with Chris. We had fun looking around, laughing, both surprised Target is filled with Fall/Halloween stuff already. Are you kidding me? It's 101 degrees outside and they are selling flannel shirts down the mens aisle. Are those making a come back? Anyway, I digress. It was great to hang out, away from the hospital, the constant sounds, beeps, other patients, the hustle and bustle that goes on in a hospital day and night.

I am still wading through the mess of paperwork. It seems never ending. I found out that I wasn't targeted for fraud, it's just that they investigate about 1 in every 50 claims. As the clerk on the phone said "you just got lucky". Haven't I already been "lucky" enough this summer? I will get through, I just can't wait to be done with it.

Last Sunday our Minister talked about "Taking it to the Limit" with God. He had one verse that really spoke to me. "The outward man does indeed suffer wear and tear, but every day the inward man receives fresh strength" 2 Corinthians 4:16. That reminded me of Chris.

My special thanks to all our neighbors and friends who continue, two months into this, to still help us everyday with dog walking, lawn mowing, babysitting and delicious meals. I feel so blessed to have you in our lives.

Gratitude and love,
Christy

5 comments:

  1. Christy --

    For some reason I have developed a huge case of allergies after reading this. I spoke briefly with Chris Friday night about 7:30 his time and he was stoked about the day, the outing, the way he feels. I can't wait to get back out there.

    Love to you, the girls and Chris.

    FIL/Grumpa/Dad/Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such great news. Thanks for sharing Christy...I hope you are getting rest and taking care of yourself. Wonderful verse you shared.
    Blessing to you...Val Shields

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy -

    Thank you for the update! So happy to hear about the outing. My love to you and the girls.

    Cousin Terisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great news! I continue to pray for you all daily. My faith grows stronger as I read about Chris's progress and prayers being answered. Chris Will Walk.
    love,
    (cousin) Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so excited to hear that you will be coming home soon. The neighborhood has not been the same without you. I will be off work the sixth and the tenth and ready to help you guys out. Your progress has been amazing and we can't wait to see you on a daily basis. See you soon!
    Bryan, Dawn, Braelyn, and Caden

    ReplyDelete