Home

Saturday, August 22, 2009

8/22/09 Screaming Eagles

Today was the big match up between LA Galaxy and DC United. Chris and his brother are both fans. Tim is part of the Screaming Eagles, fan club for DC United. Today at the game the Screaming Eagles did some fund raising for Chris. They had a booth in the parking lot, selling T shirts, taking donations and promoting the website. It was so exciting  to see Aunt Jenn and Uncle Tim on TV, I can't wait to show Caitlin and Regan in the morning. I can't thank Fox Soccer Channel enough for getting the website on the air. You could see a huge banner during the whole game that said WWW.CHRISWILLWALK.COM. So cool!

Thanks to cousin Ben and Tim for putting this all together. I have it recorded on our DVR and know Chris will be thrilled when he sees it when he gets home in three weeks.

Today the girls and I took daddy some Pick Up Sticks (thanks Monica). He was so happy to have a break from the hospital food. Chris told us they had him practicing getting in and out of a car, so shifting from a wheel chair to the seat in a car. They have an actual car (without an engine) at the hospital that patients can use to work on this skill. How great is that. I never would have thought about it. In two weeks they will have him practice in one of our cars. They are truly preparing him to come home and function as much as possible on his own.

The staff also has Chris doing some cooking. I asked if that meant he would cook when he comes home, the nurse just smiled and said she couldn't guarantee it. Darn it!

We just had an overall really good visit. I left feeling very fulfilled and happy to be together as a family. I realize how good it feels for the four of us to be spending time together. I am grateful to those that saved Chris' life. He is alive and anything else I get after that is a bonus. I  think I am a lucky girl to have fallen in love with my best friend and to have had 10 wonderful years together in marriage. Okay, am I getting too mushy? I was going to write the next paragraph about how funny and intelligent our kids are but I will save that for another blog. What can I say, I am a proud mom.

Do me a favor and take a minute to be grateful for all you have. Just 60 seconds to say thanks for what you have; a healthy body, family, a job, a home, friends, whatever it is. I know how easy it is to get caught up in the day to day stuff. I do it all the time myself but tonight I am thanking God for all He has given me.

Love and gratitude,
Christy

6 comments:

  1. I live in the Huntington Christian School tract and while on vacation in Hawaii, a friend told me about your family.My husband is a quadriplegic and we've been married 19 years with 3 kids.If you ever need to talk or hear about life with a spouse in a w/c, I'd be happy to meet with you. Our kids are 15, 12, and 9 yrs old and I'm sure they'd have things to tell you and your little ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the new picture of Chris on the Website :) Amen to your blog. Thankful everyday.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found out about your site from Mr. Mike Bailey. Thanks for your comments about being grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris and Christy:

    We so enjoyed our visit with both of you yesterday....All three kids proudly wore their shirts to school today and shared Chris's story with their teachers and classmates...Connor was especially amazed by Chris's spirit and determination truly inspiring...It was so neat to witness his therapy session as well, what a gift..Love you...Deidre

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Deidre
    I know that will touch Chris. He gets on the website almost everyday, so he will be happy to read that the kids are sharing his story and his strength.
    It was great to spend some time with all of you. Thanks for making the trip down here.
    See you soon,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Brooke, I'm signed in under my husband's ID to comment.

    I'm reading this post after a hard day at work-- I'm in the solar world, too. I didn't get home until late and it made me grouchy because my husband is a chef and works late every single night. I stuck it out though and cooked a good dinner and then snuggled my kids down to sleep. Then I hit the kitchen to clean up from dinner. It's a late night for all thanks to soccer practice, work, and the need to have a decent dinner to keep us all connected. Sleep can wait... Anyway, I snuck away from cleaning and ended up here. My thoughts turn to Chris at some point every day. Your post here, a few days old now, made me so grateful, so hopeful. I'm so fortunate. I feel determined that each of our minor struggles are worth it.
    And that Chris, more than most, has the heart and the support system to climb to the top of his.

    That is the longest, sappiest run-on paragragh I;ve ever written, but it's all true.

    ReplyDelete