Home

Friday, July 31, 2009

7/31/09 He moved AGAIN

Okay, okay stop me if this gets old because it won't get old to me until he is walking again. Chris moved his leg side to side today!

 Caitlin and I went to visit Chris today after his first full day in rehab. He looked exhausted! He had pushed, pulled, moved, shook any which way possible today. I called the hospital in the morning to ask what would be the best time to visit and they said 3 pm, thats a long day of working out, especially for someone who has been on their back for the last three weeks. He brighten up when Caitlin ran into his room. He said "I have a new trick today, want to see it" and then he moved his right leg side to side, again, ever so slightly. It just gives me hope!

We had a great visit and while we were reading some of the cards he received in walks a high school friend from Boston that just happened to be in California on vacation when he heard the news about Chris. Chris was so touched by his visit. Again, he cried.( Oh, he is going to mad when he gets to read all my posts for himself! )

Among other great news we also found out Chris will have his trache removed permanently on Monday. Even though he is breathing and talking on his own, they left it in just to be safe. It really bothers him and makes him cough a lot, so I know how happy he is to be rid of it.

I had a frustrating day doing paperwork. Thanks to Steph and Alicia for watching the girls today as I try to navigate our complicated system called social security. You think you are done and they send you a letter saying, opps, you forgot to fill out form XYZ!@#$$%^. Well if they had given that form to me the first, second or third time I had been to their office, I would have filled it out. I just don't get it. 

It has been great having Chris' brother Tim here (from Washington DC) to see Chris and visit with the girls. While I am lucky enough to have FIL (Father in law) living with us right now, it is comforting to see the girls looking to Tim for guidance and reassurance. He also very kind playing horsie and giving them as many piggy back rides as they want. His poor back.

Thank you again for all your love and prayers, I feel them working.

Love,
Christy

PS If anyone wants to visit Chris I recommend calling the day before you want to go (or even the same day) to ask the nurse what his schedule is. His scheduled work outs for tomorrow are different than they were yesterday, so they may vary from day to day. St Jude's number is 714-992-3000, ask for the rehab desk.

6 comments:

  1. Christy,
    I love to hear about Chris' progress as everyone here probably does. Don't worry about it getting old...it never does.
    Every one here is supporting the Sheetz family. Keep sharing every little detail! It's awesome!!! I cry with your posts, but they are also filled with hope, faith, excitement and joy. Living NM, this is my only way of keeping up with Chris' recovery and hearing about you and the girls. Thank you for creating this blog.
    Much love!!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I owe a HUGE thank you to Mike and Kelly Sheperd at DESIGN PROS for setting me up with this website. If you ever need any printing done, website design, they are the ones to call. They created Chris' logo for Energy West, printed business, created his website and brochures.

    Design Pros
    3621 W. McArthur Blvd #120
    Santa Ana, CA 92704
    714-840-8833
    Mike@DesignPros-Inc.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy - Once again, you moved me to tears. Good ones, but still, tears. I am so happy to hear about Chris' progress. Keep the good news coming!

    Lisa, Emma and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girl !!

    Me too, Dammit! I had to find some lin-ger-ee to wipe my eyes! If he is moving his leg from side to side, our prayers are being answered big time! No kidding, we are doing the very same as everyone else . . checking in (and weeping) daily! Tell that rascal to get his u-no-wat outta da bed, will ya? (He knows we love you both . . . . .always have!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy,
    Wow! What wonderful news! Praying each day and thanking God as the miracles unfold for Chris and you and the girls! Your news. It never gets old.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you guys! thanks for the update!

    Good job Chris!

    xoxoxox.

    Terisa

    ReplyDelete