Home

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas

I know I owe you all a blog or two. I know you are all getting ready for the holidays, as am I. Which means I am twice as busy as normal!!!!

Chris continues to make great strides (no pun intended) towards walking. Last Monday Chris was casted for his custom brace. It should take a week or two. We were waiting to hear back regarding a grant that could pay for the brace but have not learned anything about that yet. We decided to purchase the brace with the help of friends and the manufacturer of the brace agreed to refund us if the grant comes through. I only wish I had thought about that option 3 weeks ago, so that Chris could realize his dream of going upstairs by Christmas. Oh, well, he is just as excited at the prospect of it truly happening.

The strength is Chris right has increased by 45%. His left hand is coming back slowly, still not able to grip things but the therapists are hopeful it will get stronger.

I was selling shutters to a woman who lives in Fountain Valley and noticed she had a massage table in her living room. She said this is how she earns a living, hhmmm, my mind starts thinking but I don't mention Chris yet. She somehow brought up that her daughter was in an accident 5 years ago and the Dr.'s told her she would never walk again. Then she said how she learned to do a deep tissue massage, worked on her daughters legs and 3 weeks later, her daughter walked out of the hospital. Of course, I had to bring Chris up and asked if she thought she could help him too. Long story short we had our first appointment with Valerie and it was a huge success. Of course, it is expensive but well worth if it will help Chris walk faster.

This Christmas we are joined by June, Don, my parents, brother, cousin Phil and Chris' cousin Ben (along with wife, Deidre, kids Connor, Shannon and Liam). I love having a house full of people, makes it feel so festive. This year more than ever I appreciate being surrounded by family and friends. I am so thankful for everyone that has thought of us this year, helping to make sure the girls have a merry Christmas. I am in awe of the generous people (person) who secretly dropped off two huge bags of gifts and holiday items for my family. Whoever you are, I am sending you a big hug of thanks. It was so much fun to open those gifts, it really got the holidays started for us. It was cute to hear Caitlin try to figure out if it was God or Santa who asked that person to drop those items off to us. I would also like to thank my Bunco group for the generous gifts for my girls. It is a humble place to be but how lucky am I to have such a wonderful group of friends, neighbors and family. God Bless you all, have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

Love and gratitude,

Christy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christy. You may not remember me, I'm David Kincaid's daughter Suzanne (now Suzanne Blyth). We heard about Chris from a letter your parents wrote to Dad at Christmas. We were so sorry to hear the news, but having looked at this fabulous website I am amazed by the positivity and support you are getting from everyone. I want you to know that we are all thinking of you over here in England, we wish you all good fortune and improved health. Your girls look gorgeous, you must be so proud. If there is anything we can do to help the cause over here just let me know. I'd love to get a T-shirt or 3 to support you. Maybe you could email me at sblyth149@gmail.com
    All our love and best wishes
    Suzanne
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete